TO is a physical and social space that allows the user to reflect on their habits and on sustainability. We propose a revision of our daily activities, of the ways of living and of the inhabited spaces that we have inherited from the past. We understand inhabiting, in all its dimensions, as a key feature in the individual dynamics and, therefore, those of the society.
With the aim of triggering an ecosystemic change, we propose a space dwelling that is structured around new logics of use and consumption, new day-to-day practices and new ways of interaction and living.
Therefore, the building seeks that the user understands its functioning; It allows you to make a good management of waste, turning it into a resource, and to manage the comfort of the space.
1. First, to broaden the scope of the project so that it not only follows a sustainable housing model, but fosters a change towards an ecosistemic future.
2. Second, this change starts with small actions at home, with a critical attitude towards our day-to-day habits.
3. Third, we acknowledge that we carry out these domestic actions everywhere in the city, which has, in turn, become our home.
4. Fourth, in consequence, the only agent that determines our habits is ourselves. As such, that change starts with selfcriticism.
5. And five, our prototype as a material, interactive and educational
Our prototype is the materialization result of our manifesto. On one hand; it is mainly aimed at allowing the user to understand its functioning and learning how to manage it in a sustainable way. The prototype itself displays the course of natural resources inside the housing unit, the disposal resulting from their use, and the way it is reused or recovered into a resource again. This enables the users either to choose which resource to use and to close their metabolic cycles.
As well as that, the user is able to manage space comfort conditions aiming at minimal energy consumption. They can manipulate the filters between interior spaces and the exterior to reach the desired comfort conditions inside. These possibilities translate into a series of mobile gadgets that allow all activities to happen in any of the spaces according to the user’s preferences and needs. For example, it will be possible to take a shower or to sleep on the warmer, south part of the building in winter and on the north part in summer.
That said, the prototype is materialised in three main items, that are:
- Two servant walls on the east and west facades that display the use of natural resources and allow for the understanding of their management. One is for the water cycle and the other one for the organic matter. With these, the user has at hand different types of water or compost to choose from according to the need of each of their actions.
- The north and south sides are converted into a series of multi-purpose spaces, isolated from one another, and that achieve different environmental conditions. This comfort is reached by means of a series of filters with different temperature, humidity, solar protection, and ventilation purposes.
- And finally, a central space, that, given the passive thermal cushion at north and south sides, achieves comfort all year round with little aid of active systems. This space can gather large groups of people and is the centre of all the activities that will happen inside the house. This follows the purpose of the house being a collective and shared space.
Equally important, we are currently working together with the Barcelona City Hall to, once the competition is over, take the prototype back there and use it as a public domestic facility open to the neighbourhood. It will also be a home for much research teams and will be used for training people in living sustainably.